Information here about living in your home, including information on pets, decoration, gardens and refuse collection.

Occupying your home

You must occupy and furnish the property and use it solely as your only or principal home.

Decorating and furnishing

You are responsible for decorating and furnishing your home and keeping it in a good condition.

Insuring your possessions

You are responsible for insuring the contents of your home. We strongly advise that you take out contents insurance to cover your possessions and valuables. Most contents insurance will cover you against costs that you are liable for as a tenant – for example if you cause damage to the property, or to our fixtures and fittings or if the internal decoration is damaged. Find out more from the section on contents insurance.


Tenants must ask permission to keep a pet. We will not withhold this permission unreasonably, but we will consider if it is likely to cause any issues for neighbours or for the condition of the property. This may particularly apply if you live in a block of flats. If you own a pet, it is your responsibility to make sure that it does not foul in the common areas or grounds. It is also your responsibility to make sure that it does not cause any deterioration or damage to the property, the communal areas or in the vicinity of the property. If you have a dog, try not to let them become a nuisance by being noisy, especially early in the morning or late at night.

There are laws to control dog nuisance and we can insist that you find a new home for your pet if it is not kept under control. To apply for permission, please click here

Household rubbish

As a tenant it is your responsibility to dispose of your household rubbish using the bins provided. Rubbish collection is the responsibility of East Renfrewshire Council. They can advise you about collection days and recycling arrangements for your area.

Special uplift for bulk items

If you are a tenant and have any large items that need to be uplifted such as furniture, white goods, carpets etc., you should report this to the Association before you put the items out. Please note that where a substantial amount of items are required to be uplifted, we may decide that a charge will need to be applied. A visit will be made and you will be advised of the outcome. contact the office for further advice and information.


If you have exclusive use of a garden it is your responsibility to maintain it in a neat and tidy condition by cutting grass and hedges regularly. Where your property is part of a block with a shared garden or backcourt area, you must take it in turn with other residents to maintain the area to a reasonable condition, and keeping the bin stores in a reasonable condition. You will be advised when you sign for the tenancy as to whether you are responsible for maintaining the garden. We offer a garden maintenance scheme, which will incur a charge.

Common closes

Where your property is part of a block with common areas, you must take it in turns with other residents to ensure these parts are swept and washed on a weekly basis. There will normally be a rota in place so that you will know when it is your turn. Should residents not take their turn, then it may be necessary for a cleaning service to be introduced, the cost of which would be divided equally between all residents.


Data Protection Act 2018 - The information you have supplied to us will be used by Barrhead Housing Association to process your enquiry or comments. We may also use your information to verify your identity where required, contact you by post, email or telephone and to maintain our records. Barrhead Housing Association will use this information because we need to do so to perform a task carried out. You can find out more about how we handle this information and your rights in respect of it by going to where our Data Protection Statement and Privacy Policy are available. If you do not have access to a computer and wish a paper copy please let us know by contacting us at or by telephone at 0141 881 0638.